The American Shorthair cat is the perfect embodiment of feline beauty. Having a broad chest, a well-muscled body, strong jaws, a thick neck, and thick and robust legs, these qualities make this cat extremely powerful. The American is a moderate cat that makes a lovely and peaceful companion. Friendly by nature, they love to play with their owner. American Shorthair Cat won CFA's "Cat of the Year" awards in 1965, 1984, and 1996.
American Shorthair Cat cat breed information
The beautiful cat has a thick and dense coat that grows thicker during the winters. Since the coat is designed to protect the cat, it has a relatively rough texture. The size of the American Shorthair Cats ranges from medium to large. Because of their friendly nature, they are perfectly suitable for every family.
This breed is ready to live anywhere. They are brilliant and love playing with cat toys. They like to stay quiet and possess an easily adaptable personality. There's a chance it's a lap cat, but there's also a chance it's not. Because of the similarities between this breed and other domestic shorthair cats, you must have certified breed papers to confirm the identity of your cat.
Here are some fun facts about American Shorthair Cat that you should know before adopting it:
- Weight: Male large: > 12 lbs. , Female medium: 8-12 lbs.
- Length: Short
- Life span: 15-20 years
- Coat: Thick and Dense
- Color: White, Blue, Black, Cream, Red, Silver, Golden, Brown, Cameo, Bluecream, Tortoiseshell, Chinchilla
- Pattern: Solid colour, Tortoiseshell, Bicolor, Tricolor/Calico, Tabby, Smoke, Shaded
- Tendency to Shed: Moderate
- Temperament: Sociable, affectionate, bold
- Intelligence: High
- Difficulty level for first-time owners: On a scale of 1-10 paws of increasing difficulty, American Shorthair Cat receives 2/10 according to the testimony of the cat owner. According to the owner, American Shorthair Cat trainability is easy. They are friendly towards humans, pets, strangers and show strong loyalty towards their owners. American Shorthair Cat kittens tolerate being picked up. They are much recommended to adopt.
What is the difference between domestic shorthair and American Shorthair?
Previously, the American shorthair was known as the domestic shorthair. Does this sound confusing? Yes, indeed. Even though a domestic cat has short hair and lives in America, it may not be an American Shorthair or a domestic shorthair. Although the phrases are sometimes interchanged, and the only difference is that domestic shorthair is purebred, and the other isn't. Also, the kittens of the American Shorthair have the same distinctive appearance, unlike domestic shorthairs.
Are American shorthair cats friendly?
Yes, American Shorthair Cats are friendly, sociable, and playful.
How Long Can American shorthair cats live?
The lifespan of the American Shorthair Cat is 15-20 years.
What are the types of American Shorthair Cat?
The American Shorthair is a shorthaired cat that is specific to the United States. One of the parents of this breed, which was once known as the Domestic Shorthair, was the British Shorthair. Here are some famous types of American Shorthair Cat depending on their coat color.
- White American Shorthair Cat
- Blue American Shorthair Cat
- Black American Shorthair Cat
- Brown American Shorthair Cat
- Silver tabby American Shorthair Cat
- Chinchilla American Shorthair Cat
Are American Shorthair Cats good pets?
As adorable as they are, American Shorthair Cat personality is pleasant. It is calm and laid-back. The American is a caring cat who will bond with every member of the household. These cats don't require much extra social care because they can entertain themselves when necessary. While the American enjoys playing, they will bring their owner a toy if they are in the mood to play. They really are good pets.
Are American Shorthair Cats HDB approved?
According to the Housing & Development Board website, cats are not allowed in flats. However, American Shorthair Cat is considered more likely to be a family companion. The breed has been registered by the CFA in 1906.
What health issues do American Shorthair Cats face?
Pedigreed and mixed-breed cats both have varied occurrences of health issues that may be inherited in nature. These cats are healthy and do not face any health issues genetically. The following diseases may carry higher risks for the American Shorthair.
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is a type of heart disease found in this breed, but it has not yet been confirmed that it is genetic.
- Renal failure is the inability of the kidneys to fulfill their responsibilities of filtering waste from the blood and controlling hydration appropriately. Kidney disease is persistent in elder cats, but it is mainly caused by toxins or hereditary factors in young cats. If they have genetic kidney abnormalities, even very young American Shorthair Cat kittens can develop renal failure.
- Atopy is a form of allergy that makes the cat's skin itchy. Especially, the legs, belly, face, and ears. This condition is treatable.
Are American Shorthair Cats high maintenance?
No, they do not require high maintenance. Their coat is easy to maintain by combing or brushing it a couple of times a week. Generally, they have good teeth, and you can keep them perfect by brushing them at least twice a week. Also, their nails need to be trimmed every couple of weeks to keep them tidy and clean.
They are exceptionally social and will roam around happily like they own the place. They behave gently around children. Interactive play may be needed to keep them in shape and ensure that they get enough exercise.
Do American shorthair cats shed a lot?
The American Shorthair Cats shed moderately that’s why they don’t require a lot of maintenance.
Are American Shorthair Cats aggressive?
No, The American Shorthair Cats are not aggressive. They are very polite and friendly. These cats are brilliant and even-tempered. The American is a loving cat and will cling herself to all members of the family. They are as gentle that they will not destroy your home if they are left alone for more than a day.
What are popular mixed breeds with American Shorthair Cats?
American Shorthair Cat is a Shorthair Cat breed that is found explicitly in the United States. This cat does not have any mixed breeds.
Are American Shorthair Cats hypoallergenic?
No, American Shorthair is not hypoallergenic. Although they shed a lot it doesn’t mean that they can cause allergies. Only people with cat allergies can get affected by American Shorthairs. Apart from them, all of the other people are safe and can adopt one.
How much is an American shorthair cat?
It depends on the age of the American and the breeder. The price ranges between $500 and $800 from less-known breeders while the price of an American Shorthair kitten from a reputable breeder ranges starts from $1000 -$1500 or more.
American Shorthair is an excellent cat to raise, as it comes with almost zero challenges. They are usually adorable and caring in nature. Trainability, exercise, and socializing are effortless for them. If you think you are looking for a friendly companion, this breed can be your right choice.