Pets are now sometimes associated with fashion symbols, and many people look for a dog that suits their personality and lifestyle. A popular dog regarded as a fashion symbol by many famous people like Paris Hilton and Demi Moore is Chihuahua. The Chihuahua is a small, beautiful, and loyal dog you can have as your pet and add more life to your lavish lifestyle.
Chihuahua Dog breed information
Chihuahua is a small dog breed loved by many celebrities due to its small and compact size. Chihuahua can even fit in your purse, which makes them easy to carry wherever you go. Chihuahua is known for its devoted, quick, courageous, and lively temperament.
Here are some fun facts about Chihuahua to assist you better understand the breed
- Breed Group: Toy group
- Height: 15-25 cm at the withers (Both male and female Chihuahua are of almost the same size)
- Weight: 1.5-3 kg (Both male and female shares almost the same weight)
- Life span: 12-20 years
- Coat: short-haired: Smooth and long (Smooth that fit close to the body, long coat with soft and a bit of curliness).
- Color: White, Black, Fawn, Chocolate, Cream, Gold, Red, Brown, Mixed.
- Temperament: Lively, Alert, Devoted, Quick, Courageous
- The difficulty level for first-time owners: On a scale of 1-10 paws, Chihuahua receive 5/10 paws according to many Chihuahua owners' feedback. According to their owners' testimony, the Chihuahua can be easy to train, but they are stubborn too. So, in some training, Chihuahua trainability could be difficult. They can be easily trained as a puppy and will give you a hard time teaching an adult Chihuahua. They also love the reward-based training methods.
Chihuahua Dog History
Chihuahua, the dwarf dog, has a long and mysterious ancient history from Mexico. According to legends, Chihuahua was discovered in Mexico in the late 1800s. One theory is that the Chihuahua is the descendant of the Native North American tribes' companion dogs known as Techichi.
In the mid-1800s, When Americans started taking an interest in the breed, they found many specimens in the state of Chihuahua and from there, it received its name, "Chihuahua." The American Kennel Club registered the first Chihuahua named Beppie in 1908.
Celebrity and bandleader Xavier Cugat played a significant role in the breed's popularity in the 1940s-50s. These dogs also performed in famous movies like "Sex and the city" and "Legally Blond." These movies made them famous across the showbiz and elite industry, and the popularity remains unparalleled till now.
What are the types of Chihuahua?
Chihuahua is a fascinating breed that took the world by storm. Chihuahua gained more popularity when seen with many celebrities like Paris Hilton, Demi Moore, etc. Chihuahua has six different types that are available in the market, waiting to be your pets. The types of Chihuahua are
- Short-Hair Chihuahua
- Long-Hair Chihuahua
- Deer Head Chihuahua
- Apple Head Chihuahua
- Fawn Chihuahua
- Teacup Chihuahua
Are Chihuahua good pets?
Chihuahua is a small dog breed, but they are intelligent and extremely loyal to their owners despite being small. Chihuahua personality can range from shy and timid to aggressive and outgoing, and they make perfect pets for first-time owners. We can safely say that Chihuahua is one of the most ideal pet dogs you can ever have.
Are Chihuahua HDB approved?
Yes, Chihuahua is HDB approved in Singapore due to its small size and lightweight. HDB (Housing and Development board) in Singapore has strict rules for having a pet. If you live in an apartment in Singapore and you are willing to adopt a dog, then you can only adopt dogs that are officially HDB approved.
Are Chihuahua high maintenance?
Despite being a famous dog, Chihuahua does not require more maintenance than other similar breeds. Chihuahua only requires regular brushing to avoid tangles and a hair cut from the head after some time to prevent the hairs from going into the eyes. With this minimal maintenance, you can take good care of your Chihuahua and help him to stay healthy while maintaining your busy routine.
Do Chihuahua bark a lot?
Chihuahua is known for its fierce and protective nature, and these qualities make them bark a lot. They can continuously bark on anything that they feel threat to them, even if it is your friend or any family member that your dog does not like. You can stop him from constant barking by offering him some treats to eat.
Are Chihuahua aggressive?
Like any dog, Chihuahua can become aggressive due to the same reasons, fear, depression, and anxiety. They can show their aggression by biting, which can be dangerous for kids and older people. Their aggression can be eliminated by proper training with love, care, and social attention.
Are Chihuahua hypoallergenic?
Chihuahua is a small creature and is not hypoallergenic. But no dog is 100% hypoallergenic because the problem is not shedding hairs. The main problem is dander stuck in the fur, which can cause allergic problems. To keep yourself safe from allergies, keep good care of your dog and keep him clean and tidy.
What are popular mixed breeds with Chihuahua?
Chihuahua is a famous dog, and its popularity is the reason that it has many mixed breeds. Breeders always try new mixes to come up with the different versions of Chihuahua. Some of the famous Chihuahua mixes are
- Chion (Chihuahua/Papillon)
- French Bullhuahua (Chihuahua/French Bulldog)
- Chibeagle (Chihuahua/beagle)
- Chi Chon (Chihuahua/Bichon Frise)
- Chimeranian (Chihuahua/Pomeranian)
- Chizer (Chihuahua/Miniature Schnauzer)
- Chipaniel (Chihuahua/Cocker Spaniel)
- Chiweenie (Chihuahua/Dachshund)
- Chi Chi (Chihuahua/Chinese Crested)
- Chug (Chihuahua/Pug)
What health issues do Chihuahua face?
Like many other small breeds, Chihuahuas are prone to many dangerous diseases that can cause major damages to them if not appropriately treated. These dogs can experience Epilepsy, Tracheal Collapse, Heart diseases, Dental problems, Hydrocephalus, and more.
- As a puppy, Chihuahua puppies can face hydrocephalus. A condition with a soft spot on their head called Molera. Molera is a breed characteristic in Chihuahua. Dogs with larger Molera can experience hydrocephalus due to excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid around the brain. This condition causes partial or complete blindness, seizures, dementia, and eventually death. This disease can be treated by using corticosteroids and in some cases with surgery.
- From adulthood to older, Chihuahuas can experience Tracheal Collapse. It causes their tracheal to collapse because they lose their rigidity as the Chihuahua get older. It results in the collapse of the trachea wall when the dog inhales, which further results in the narrowing of the windpipe. This condition can be prevented by taking care of your dog and in severe cases with surgery.
All in all, Chihuahuas are small packets of energy and intelligence that are ready to be your pet. This popular breed is a bit difficult to train in some cases but overall, Chihuahuas are amazing dogs and are great pets and portable dogs that you can take wherever you want.