Can cats or dogs get jealous? Just like humans, our pets can experience jealousy over foods, toys and their owners. According to CNN, a research found that canines showed jealous behaviours when their owners displayed affection toward an animatronic stuffed dog that barked, whined and wagged its tail. Pet jealousy is a real thing! Your pet can turn into a green-eyed monster if you are petting another animal!
Understand The Causes Of Pet Jealousy
Pet jealousy can be caused by:
1.New baby or child
2.New pet in the home
3.New people living in the house
5.New home and neighbourhood
Signs Of Jealousy In Pets
1. Nibbling or biting of the animal or person
2. Pooping or peeing in places where he shouldn't
3. Cuddling up extra close to you or suddenly licking you
4. Showing destructive behaviours such as tipping over of food bowls or making a mess of the litter box
5. Not responding to you in his typical way such as not making eye contact
7. Hissing, growling or fighting with another pet
8. Crowding your space
9. Leaving the room when he gets mad
Dealing With A Jealous Dog Or Cat
1. If you have multiple pets, be sure that you spend with your pet on a one to one basis. You should never giving too much attention to one pet versus another. And dont pet one animal at the expense of the other. Try to pet or talk to them at the same time so that none of them feel left out. If your pet has to watch you lavish the other animal with your attention all the time, you can't blame him for being jealous. Instead, do your part to give each pet equal time and show fairness when interacting with them.
3. When you reach home, ignore your pets so they don't feel like one is getting more attention than the other.
4. Try to encourage your jealous pet to interact with the other pet or person. Don't forget to reward him when he stops his jealous behaviour. For instance, you can get him to play with the animal or object of his envy. You can praise him or reward him with treats if he shows positive interactions.
5. Always supervise your jealous pet when bringing a new pet or a baby into home. If your pet shows jealous behaviour, try to be patient because he is eventually going to get adjusted to the new situation.